History of Fort Haldimand

Paul Malo visit to the Villa 2003

TI Life story from 2006 on the Villa

Rediscovering Fort Haldimand April 2008

"Carleton Villa Life," historic family photographs from Elizabeth Wyckoff Balderston

 

A country house in the grand manner, Carleton Villa recalled the European seat of a landed family. A model farm on the island supported the illusion, although William Wyckoff derived a new fortune from industry and commerce, not the land. The photograph, taken from the rock ledge on the lake side, shows two unidentified ladies, probably guests.

 

 

Carleton Villa was a family summer home for many children and grandchildren, accomodating large house parties.

 

 

Although substantial in construction and generous in size, Carleton Villa was not baronial in style of furnishing. Light wood and wicker pieces were deemed appropriate for a summer cottage. Except for carpets, the decor employed little of the rich fabric upholstery, draperies, or curtains more typical of a town house of the period.

 

 

The main hall was the central gathering place, providing a piano for entertainment.

 

 

Large openings linked spatious rooms, providing long vistas -- here from dining room through hall into the library.

 

 

The view back from the library to the dining room shows the piano in the hall.

 

 

Like the absence of conventional window dressing, large sheets of plate glass provided a "modern" character. The minimal veranda railing was consistent with the uncluttered appearance. The windows themselves were unconventional, sliding up into hidden pockets to provide ventilation.

 

 

South Bay accomodated yacht, boat, and skiff houses. The Wyckoffs had two yachts, the Ezra Cornell and the Remington. The large building at left housed the Cornell. The boat house for the Remington is hidden behind, only a bit of its roof showing. The larger buildling to the right was an older skiff house that was remodeled to provide larger quarters on second and third floors.

 

 

A skiff, at left, and an earlier skiff house in the distance. This building was built before the Villa, by the previous owner of the property, J. T. Morrison. He retained use of the left half, the Wyckoffs using the right. The structure was enlarged subsequently, as shown in the previous photograph. The Wyckoffs also had another skiff house, from which this photo may have been taken.

 

 

Swimming off the dock of the Remington boat house (right) with the Cornell yacht house beyond.

 

 

Boys swim off a dock at the Remington boat house, with the Cornell yacht house beyond and the Villa tower in the distance.

 

 

Good times aboard the Cornell.

 

 

The Ezra Cornell with crew and party.

 

 

An outing, probably aboard the Cornell.

 

 

Doris Wyckoff, the youngest of four granddaughters. The enlarged skiff house appears beyond the ramp to a smaller boat house. One of the retaining walls of the Villa garden appears in the left distance.

 

 

Barbara Wyckoff, eldest of four granddaughters, at the play house overlooking South Bay near the retaining wall that created the level terrace.

 

 

Doris Wyckoff at the play ground pavilion near the path that led to the Villa from the ferry dock near the southern end of the point, at the entrance to South Bay.

 

 

Carleton Villa as seen on approach from the ferry dock by way of the path through the center of the photograph. South Bay is to the right. An edge of the playground pavilion appears on that side, with tennis courts beyond. The neighboring Millar summer home appears at the left. Cal Vary was the photographer.

 

Historic photographs have been provided by Elizabeth Wyckoff Balderson and the Millar family of Carleton Island.

 

The following images are from Carol Sisler's book 'Enterprising Families, Ithaca, New York, their houses and Businesses'

 

from Carol Sisler's book 'Enterprising Families, Ithaca, New York, their houses and Businesses'

from Carol Sisler's book 'Enterprising Families, Ithaca, New York, their houses and Businesses'

 

Below are other structures designed by William Henry Miller, Architect of the Carleton Island Villa.

Jennie McGraw residence designed by William Henry Miller 1880. Edward Wyckoff purchased this property in December 1895 and donated it to the fraternity to which his brother Clarence belonged.

from Carol Sisler's book 'Enterprising Families, Ithaca, New York, their houses and Businesses'

McGraw residence designed by William Henry Miller 1880.

from Carol Sisler's book 'Enterprising Families, Ithaca, New York, their houses and Businesses'

Cornell Librry designedby William Henry Miler1891

from Carol Sisler's book 'Enterprising Families, Ithaca, New York, their houses and Businesses'

 

History of Carleton Island and Cape Vincent